If ‘domestic goddess’ is on your wishlist of life skills (or ‘domestic god’, we’re equal opportunities here at Nicobar), Bani Nanda from Miam Patisserie shared five at-home cooking tips that might help you along a bit:
1. Respect the temperatures of baking and familiarise well with your oven as every oven is different and yields different results.
2. Buying some compound chocolate is a great way to make quick and easy decorations for home bakers. The compound chocolate does not need tempering, it sets really fast. Melt the chocolate and spread it out on parchment paper and use stencils to cut of decorations to put on cakes or plated desserts.
3. A yoghurt based marinade for meats is always great. It tenderises the meat and has a mellow flavour. Rub the meat or poultry with some yogurt, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper for a quick marinade before grilling or searing.
4. The quickest chocolate sauce will always be two parts of dark chocolate and one part cream. Chop the chocolate finely and pour boiling cream to it. It'll all come together and taste amazing!
5. While making a salted caramel, never ever forget that the cream added in the end must be warm. This is the secret to making a caramel sauce which doesn't split!